Dairy & Soy Free Banana Bread
"I had to live dairy and soy-free for the first year of my kids’ life, because of her allergy. Luckily for the people around me, neither wine nor chips contained either, so we avoided diet-induced manslaughter. It was the hungriest I’ve been in years, and gave me a look at what it's like to live in the allergy world (spoiler: it can suck).
This recipe kept me going through some hard sugar-lows. The bub liked it, too, which I guess is a bonus!"
- Preheat oven to 160C (325F). Lightly grease a 28 x 18 cm loaf pan (9 x 5 inch); set aside
- In a bowl mash bananas. Beat in sugar, then egg and butter. In another bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda; add to banana mixture and stir just until all flour is moistened
- Add apples and nuts*; stir just until well mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (you can play with this amount depending on how cakey or bready you like the loaf)
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each, salt and baking soda
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- *1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I didn’t include this for the baby version - definitely improves it though)
Recipe adapted from cooks.com